Thursday, June 28, 2007

Your Typical Day in Mt. Pleasant

Last Saturday afternoon, as Todd and Loretta napped and Henry and I played in the living room, strains of Caribbean music came wafting in through our windows. I asked Henry if he wanted to find where the music was coming from. He shouted "Yes!" So we put on our shoes and ran down the street in search of the music.

Here's what we found. A local Cuban band called Orquesta Ashe was giving a free performance in the park. People were dancing, laughing, singing, and the music was just incredible. Like having the Buena Vista Social Club live on my block. Henry and I stayed for a while and took it all in. I managed to take some photos. But I gotta' tell you, from the moment I entered that plaza something about these Cuban rhythms choked me up. Big time. I started crying and crying. Big silent tears coming down my cheeks. For 15 minutes or so. I know the lead singer saw me, I tried to smile at him through the tears. I wonder if he sees that reaction a lot. The music is so full of emotion and longing somehow. If you ever get a chance to see them. GO.
Later on, we sat on our front stoop and Siena and Royce stopped by for a visit. Siena is the newest baby on our block. BUT NOT FOR LONG! Many babies are expected. If we ever leave DC, this neighborliness and the many dear connections are what I will miss the most. ...and Marion Barry.

Henry found a witch's claw from Halloween in our front yard.
Royce holds little Siena the burritto baby.

No comments: